Just do it! NHS Certificate in Complementary Therapy (Cancer Pathway) With the aim of gaining practical experience as a complementary therapist in a cancer-care setting, I found my way to the Sir Robert Ogden Macmillan Cancer Centre in Harrogate where the first NHS Natural Therapy School is based, for the 12 week program leading to the NHS Certificate in Complementary Therapy (Cancer Pathway). This program offered an unique opportunity to learn and work within a professional, supportive and caring team, to NHS standards, while helping people during their cancer treatments, their carers, and patients on wards in the main hospital, through the power of touch – in my case, aromatherapy massage. The required medical and professional standards were obviously very high, and I was a bit daunted at first. There was a lot to learn about professional standards in the NHS, about the many forms of cancer and how these impact on people and how to tailor treatments to individual circumstances and the constraints of being on a hospital ward. However, as experiences go, this was probably one of the most rewarding professional and human experiences I have had, if not the most. Underpinning this was the expert and ongoing coaching and guidance from Gwyn Featonby, who leads the program, and support from Beverly Harrison and the wider team, which was invaluable. “Light touch” but the right touch. Also, the chance to work with and learn from fellow therapists was an added bonus. Through evidence-based practice, it was satisfying to see positive results for patients. Being accepted by medical professionals as part of the wider team supporting patients was amazing. So, if I have any advice for anyone considering embarking on this journey, it would be to “just do it”!
Volunteering at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust.
The Sir Robert Ogden Macmillan Centre Complementary Therapy Service values the support and services provided by our Complementary Therapy Volunteers.
Anyone wishing to become involved and volunteer as a complementary therapist need to;
- Contact the SROMC Complementary Therapy Service and obtain an application form.
- All volunteers at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust will undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check .
Telephone: 01423 557316
All volunteers require;
- An appropriate qualification at a level that qualifies them to practice, recognised by the Complementary and Natural Health Council (CNHC) or an alternative approved professional regulatory body.
- Have a current registration with the CNHC or approved professional regulatory body.
- Have valid Personal Liability Insurance
- Evidence of current annual CPD points
- Attend Mandatory Volunteer Induction Training in line with trust Policy
- Hold a Valid First Aid Certificate